View Single Post
      12-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
f0xfire021
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 e91 328xiT | 6mt

328xi wagon in the snow

Had a chance to take our 3er wagon out into about a foot of snow yesterday for the first time since buying it last spring. Was expecting that x-drive would be helpful, but was amazed at how well it works. I just put on a new set of Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position 960s a few weeks ago, and they performed admirably as well.

No issues accelerating, even on areas of snow-covered ice - just point and go. As a test I goosed it on an empty, unplowed street with traction control fully enabled. The car simply accelerates as though on dry ground. I then fully disabled traction control, and did the same thing, flooring it in second. All four wheels immediately broke traction and spun up to nearly redline. The difference between the two scenarios under the same conditions was remarkable.

I had to park on an unplowed street in about a foot of untouched snow, and was able to pull out of my spot without too much drama. The biggest hinderance becomes clearance, not traction.

To those considering x-drive, and those considering the Pole Positions, I'd highly recommend both. Dedicated winters would be better, but in a foot of heavy, wet, icy snow, these worked very well.
Appreciate 0