United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Nice shots, David.

I'm waffling between the 6D and the 5D MkIII. Some of my favorite shots from my looooong walk around London back in September were taken at a shutter speed of 1/6400s or 1/8000s. I'm wondering now if the 6D's 1/4000 limitation will make me regret buying it when I decide to use one of my fast primes outdoors.

I love the low light focusing ability of the 6D, but the high ISO noise performance is pretty much equal on the MkIII. I don't care about GPS and while the wifi would be cool to have, it' not a deal breaker for the MkIII. That price, though....
Do you need the MkIII's AF system and 6-fps? I think that those are the keys to making the decision. Most people never really use those capabilities. I shoot birds and wildlife, so those functions are key and it's a no-brainer for me to go with the MkIII. For travel, portraits, landscapes, street shooting and most general use shooting you'll never need those features and the 6D will be up to your needs. OTOH, if you shoot a significant amount of sports action or wildlife, then go for the MkIII.

Of course, that analysis ignores price. If price is a problem, the the 6D will work well, just not as well. I have a pro wildlife photographer friend that uses a 5D MkII, which the 6D equals and/or surpasses in most respects.

Oh, why in the world are you shooting at such high SSs? i shoot birds in flight, running deer and rabits and consider 1/2000-second fast. I only go higher for humming birds in flight.

Dave