View Single Post
      03-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #14
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Oh nay nay, at least in the online world the only person who is screwed in such cases is the merchant. Now in retail where a card is present it may be a bit different, but I'm pretty sure most fraudsters go online now.

I actually had my card data stolen maybe like a year or so ago. It was actually a card I had not used for years but still had in my wallet. My only guess is that since thats the only card I had with RFID and I never used the card and they did not steal the physical card is that they must have picked up the data using the RFID signal. Needless to say that card is closed and gone.
Oh interesting I didn't know the merchant takes the hit.

I do know that if a thief uses your credit card to withdraw a "cash advance" from an ATM then the corresponding lender takes the hit. I've been the victim of both, but most recently I had some thief withdraw money from some ATM in Winnebago, Nebraska 10 minutes after I had used the same card to purchase dinner in Austin . For some reason I had randomly decided to check my online balance statement that day and so I was able to report the fraudulent activity immediately which the bank appreciated.

I've seen ads for wallets that sequester your credit card's RFID signal and prevent the sort of "electronic theft" that you're referring to. A lot of them are very reasonably priced as well.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com...er-p-1574.html
Appreciate 0