11-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #44
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
You mention street vs track. These are two different applications. I get wanting a bigger hammer, but there are trade offs like the reliability mentioned.

The car in it's original state is sick fast almost too fast for the street IMHO. Compared to cars from even 5 years ago, it's in super car territory (and close to most supercars these days).

OP, what do you want the extra HP for? Is it for bragging rights? A quicker straight line? Canyon runs? track use? Or are you just looking for more torque? Touching the engine might not be the best solution depending on how you answer these questions... .
Great post and great questions. Everyone has different motivations. The most sensible thing would be buy a C6 Z06, which satisfies virtually all the criteria, including way more power, torque, significantly less weight, reasonable street manners, reliability, creature comforts, and WAY less money. Moreover, the LS7 can be pushed to 700 much cheaper than a S65 can be pushed to 500, but why?

"Sensible" is not the deciding factor for most car nuts, especially those who are brand fans, who want the baddest, whatever. While I might think pushing a 4L V8 to 500HP is nuts for street use and having it last, others just love the challenge.

I had a C6 Z06 and loved it. However, ultimately, I felt it was too much for daily-driver use even in OEM trim, so I decided to dial it back, even though the only service it ever required was oil changes. I've also had a lot of experience with high HP modified cars of many different makes, and at the end of the day, they all tended to be a PIA in one way or another.

These days, I'm loving OEM. Obviously, I must be getting old, and everyone has to learn it for themselves, but there's is no explaining it. It just is . . .

P.S. If I were to go "nuts" and try to push the S65, it would be stroker, or nothing.