06-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #26
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
First of all I would run a square setup in the winter. No reason to run a staggered setup since your want to run skinnier tires for better traction in snow.

It depends on your driving needs on what kind of tires you should get. I live in Minneapolis where the snow gets plowed very quickly and only drive ~4k per year. Since 2 years ago it barely snowed and not driving that much I've loved my Dunlop 3D's. For a dedicated snow tire they drive very well on dry roads (most of my driving) and performed extremely well when there has been snow on the roads. A lot of people on this forum will tell you to get Blizzacks, but they've been known to lose a lot of performance when the original compound wears off and you're at half tread. A lot of MN drivers have enjoyed the Hankook iPikes, but when it comes down to the best overall tire for MN look no further than the General Altimax Arctic tire. They are excellent in both snow and ice. The only problem is that they don't come in 18's which is why I went went the 3D's. if you end up with 17's get the Generals.