05-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #17
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Someone else posted recently that it is a good idea to remember that each dealership is independently owned and operated. You don't really know the situation at play within yours. Your shop foreman could be a jerk. He may not think BMW compensates enough for that job. He may have been dinged recently by BMW for doing a similar job when the returned parts showed it wasn't necessary. There could be a million reasons why he is acting the way he is and you will probably never know why. Take your car to another dealership.

Oh, if you have a choice, pick a dealership not owned by the same person or group, just in case it is some particular ownership policy that is causing the action that you are receiving.
Good luck!
Agreed and my point exactly.

A brief story:

I had a 2009 Infiniti G37 and while it was still under factory warranty, it started behaving very strangely -- constantly trying to "start itself" (it couldn't as it was a manual) and, when running, constantly shutting itself off.

Took it to the dealership closest to me, they informed me it was the alternator. They had the car for 2 weeks. To replace the alternator! Absolutely insane. Communication was horrible. Luckily I was in a nice loaner so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I go and pick up the car and on the way home it starts doing it again.

I take it to another dealer (35 minutes away from me, but with slightly better reviews).

The SA at first didn't want to touch my car as the first dealership "does bad work and we don't touch their fuckups" (his words). I pleaded, and told him the problem. He checked it out himself and immediately went "Oh. It's a PCM module. We'll take care of you"

Later that day the car was done and the problem was ACTUALLY fixed. Here's my point: it took one dealership 2 weeks only to misdiagnose and incorrectly repair the vehicle. It took another one 5 minutes to diagnose and 4 hours to repair the SAME problem on the same car...

...This is just one story of many unfortunately. There's only one Fiat dealership within 100 miles of Chicago that I'd let work on my Abarth, and frustratingly it took me going to 4 dealerships before I found it.

Appreciate 0