View Single Post
      03-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #22
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr15 View Post
Automatics are not the reason Americans can't drive. Extremely lax drivers license testing (and a lack of renewal testing) is the reason so many Americans can't drive.

Excluding bikes/CDLs/etc., we let everyone drive whatever they want. No special consideration is given to training, experience, or current physical condition. This is a system that doesn't discriminate between a 16-year old is driving a Ferrari or a Fiesta and has no system in place to supervise the physical ability of anyone to keep driving. I understand there are significant challenges to creating and implementing a comprehensive system to address the issues, but the "free candy for life" approach we have to licensing is the real culprit.
Yes, I agree that the lax driver testing standards is also a culprit. I find it unacceptable that the Washington State Driver test can be administered in 45 languages! How many cops speak 45 languages? How many road signs are in 45 languages? But since we just hand out driver's license like "free candy for life", it is a problem. I think more rigorous training needs to be done, as well as regular re-testing.

But I do think that automatic transmissions are a small part of the problem. They've become ubiquitous, and I don't think one can argue that they require far less driver involvement. I don't care to hear about "paddles" either, as that is a relatively recent development.

But I see automatics as the first sign of the driver apocalypse. Then we get ABS, because people drive too fast for conditions and a system is needed to more quickly modulate the brakes. Now people don't want to wear seatbelts, so airbags are created. But wait, those airbags are more dangerous if you aren't wearing a seat belt, so now we mandate seat belt use.

Can't be bothered to look behind you when backing up? Now we have back up cameras and sensors!

Can't turn your head to do a head check before changing lanes? Our blind spot detector system will do it for you!

Can't parallel park? Let our system parallel park the car for you!

Can't put down your cell phone in traffic to notice the impending crash in front of you? Our "city safety" brake system will stop for you! (Volvo).

Driving too fast at night? We have a heads up display to show you what's out there!

Fall asleep at the wheel because you are driving when you shouldn't be? Our "lane departure" system will shake the wheel or your seat to wake you up! If those systems don't wake you up, our car will brake for you automatically and bring you safely to a stop!

Too difficult to maintain a safe distance from the car in front of you? Our adaptive cruise control will manage that for you!

Is your car accelerating due to a defective pedal or system? Our "brake override system" will cut the throttle automatically when you apply the brake!

And the list just keeps growing....

And I say, it all started to go down hill with the introduction of the automatic transmission. Soon enough, all you have to do is get in the car's backseat, and the car will drive itself. As a matter of fact, for your own safety and the safety of those around you, you will NOT be allowed to drive at all.

2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0