View Single Post
      05-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

How do our cars behave at the limit without LSD?

This question is regarding long sweeping high-speed corners where you have to accelerate throughout, and somewhere mid-corner you reach the limit of adhesion when the tires start to chirp.

(Ex: NJMP Thunderbolt turn #8, for those who are familiar)
I've been at this track couple times, and this corner seemed scariest to me. Exiting turn 7, I progressively go WOT and remain WOT until somewhere middle of turn 8 I slowly let off cuz my balls start to shrivel.

Maybe this is due to the lack of an LSD (or just lack of my skills), but I'm familiar with my car's rate of yaw angle change during a low-speed powerslide being very abrupt. As if I hit a small patch of black ice, the car's rear end does not hesitate to swing out quickly and completely.

My fear is that if I go WOT to the limit at turn 8 (or similar), then one of my rears will lose traction and the car will swing out too quickly to a point I cannot simply adjust the steering to counteract the oversteer.

So here's my question: Are our cars predictable and controllable at the limit during high-speed turns even without an LSD (particularly RWD, all traction/DSC stuff off)? I realize the question is vague, but you know what I mean. For example, I'd consider a 996 unforgiving cuz they tend to spin out even with a slight hint of mid-corner lift in a similar situation.
Appreciate 0