10-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgone View Post
So you're suggesting I used MU Honda nav well but once I got a BMW nav I stopped paying attention? Not likely.
A reasonable person would have concluded the same thing based on what you stated. That's all!

Quote:
Yes, it notifies you a mile away but that doesn't help that much when you have driven about a mike and there are several streets that look like they might be the one (signage is not so good around here.)
And how is BMW at fault here? Did you ignore the navigation unit when it stated, "destination is 300 feet ahead"....."destination is 100 feet ahead"? Please don't interpret that statement as me questioning your basic intelligence, but how much more descriptive does the navigation interface need to be!??!

Quote:
My Honda nav timed it perfectly and would say "make the next right" while giving me time to see the next right and take it.
Like I stated above...

...if the navigation unit instructs me that my turn is 100 feet ahead, that is a degree of distance that is easily perceptible. I just don't understand how anybody could have an issue with that.

Quote:
The BMW will often say it at a point where I will need to jam on my brakes hard if I hope to make the turn.

It also doesn't do well with forks in roads. Sometimes it won't say anything at all or worse, about 500ft before the fork it will say "take the next right". Ill see side streets and know it cant be telling me to go on those and then suddenly ill see the fork and figure it meant, "veer to the right up ahead".

It sounds like your vehicle has a sense of humor. My car warns me about forks, highway transitions, etc. long before I reach them. TOO EARLY in fact (..if I had to nit-pick)!

Quote:
One more thing, let's say I'm driving along and want to know the next gas station coming up. Well, the car will give me a list of like 10 stations that seem to be in no particular order. Also, I might be going north but it will list all these gas stations that are south of me. I'll scroll through those and then find one a couple miles ahead. That should have been the first entry, not stations I already passed up and that are even farther away.
I'll have to look at my unit again, but I believe that my unit lists them from closest to furthest.
Appreciate 0