View Single Post
      08-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #40
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
Well, I am not expressing my opinion here, I have just quoted the magazine, in order to translate part of the article for the non-german speakers here. Autobild is, correct if I am wrong, the world's biggest auto magazine and most of the information, which they post, very often comes out to be true. So according to the article, which quote technicians from BMW, the I6 turbo "should fit in the corbon body". Nowhere in the article is specified, how exactly, but in the context of i-100 it should be also rear-mounted. That of course does not exclude the fact, that the M-100 can have a little bit modified chassis, but nevertheless should pack the inliner in the back. I am not an engineer and can't say whether this is possible or not, but until someone gives here a robust argument, why it can't, I will accept this.
No need to apologize. Levi missed an important part of the Autobild article you translated. The VED Concept car had a mid-engine layout which indeed only allows for an inline 3 if they want to keep it as a 4-seater. But -- as Autobild claims -- BMW chose a rear-engine layout for the production version, and that's the reason why an inline 6 would fit.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0