View Single Post
      10-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #1754
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Thanks for that reference. While I agree with the overall conclusions I was a bit surprised by some of the results. In particular the resolution simulations run by the author seem to show that sharpening can consistently produce resolution (both MTF-50 and MTF-10) better than the diffraction limit. Certainly for a classical sinusoidal resolution test target this is possible. With no interfering noise you can take a sinewave pattern of very low contrast and sharpen it up to an almost perfect bar pattern. I wonder, however, how well this works in practice with a complex image. I've sharpened many images over the years and have some idea of the limitations of this sort of processing. As a result I wonder if the assessment of the utility of increasing sensor resolution is somewhat overstated.

Regardless, I agree with the utility of increasing pixel pitch to the point that anti-aliasing filters can be removed, and ultimately, that teleconverters become superfluous (i.e. that the sensor truly oversamples all the image information provided by the lens).
Appreciate 0