09-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
Hopefully this result will make BMW realize that real drivers and enthusiasts can't be fooled by hype. You can't just stick an off the shelf engine and a poorly tuned chassis utilizing M3 suspension bits into a 1 series and call it an M car.

This was BMW first experiment to see if people will pay for an M car that lacks the specialization and commitment to excellence that once defined the brand. BMW with the 1M is testing if they can spend a small fraction of resources on advertising and hype that would have been needed for proper engineering... and see if a larger profit margin can be obtained.

Many are drinking the Kool-Aid, and that's what I would expect of the "fake" experts most auto-journalists are and the sheep most buyers are. I'm grateful Motor-trend had the balls to hire an actual professional who can come out and drop a dose of reality; that a pig with lipstick on it is still a pig.
As someone who owns a US E36 M3, I find your posting of this opinion a little baffling. Given that the US car didn't have an M Motor or M brakes, and was certainly built to keep cost down. M hasn't been anything special since the last handbuilt E34 M5's.
Appreciate 0