01-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #13
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
So glad I live in an area with amazing local pizza joints and NEVER have to settle for chain pies...
No chains for me either. We make our own pizza. It helps having owned a pizza shop before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
I can't stand chain pizza anymore. I was spoiled back in Utica, MI there was a little Italian pizza joint with the best thin crust in a wood burning oven. Tivoli's Wood Brick Oven Pizzeria was the only place I'd go to.

Fresh tomato, mozzarella, anchovies, and prosciutto.
The UP has some good pizza. Had a good pie in Benton Harbor as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption View Post

I think CT apizza is better than NYC

/flamesuit on
There are lots of places with good pizza. Many equal or better than NYC by my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
The trick to a really good pizza is one without all of that heavy sauce on it. A light brushing of tomato juice is all you want, and then you can actually taste the other ingredients.
Like most everything about pizza the amount of sauce is subjective. I used to make pizza for me with very little sauce. then we started experimenting with sauce and came up with an awesome recipe. Then i liked the normal amount of sauce. It seemed to accentuate the flavors of everything else.

Nothing ruins a good pie like a crappy sauce. Most chain sauces are way too sweet. But they cater to kids mostly. Then adults get hooked because they've had it so much they think they like it.

We've had chain lovers over to the house for home made pizza and some of them have never eaten at a chain again.