10-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by emglie View Post
It's good they finally did this, but why did it have to take so long for them to discover that some people actually use Android?
It will not have been an oversight.

BMW will have prioritised their development resources on iPhone based on solid market research.

Perhaps iPhone owners are a significantly large subset of BMW owners?

Development for Android is made more complicated by the fact that there are large numbers of older versions still in the wild and a great variety of handsets.

Android owners spend less money on apps and use the Internet less. Make of that what you will.

What size of cradle would you use for Android phones?

I'm not saying iPhones are better than Android phones - different would be a better distinction. However, a low number of iOS versions in the wild, with a small variety of handsets together with an enormous user base makes this an attractive proposition for development.

I think if I was head of iDrive integration development, I too would have prioritised iOS compatibility. What do you think?