03-28-2024, 12:50 AM   #85
_das_bae_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Make sure you hang on to your hifi speakers, those hifi 4” mids are actually better than the vast majority of aftermarket’s. Amd I like the tweeters better on the hifi.

Tip: the HK center grill is different, the metal mesh and more acoustically transparent than the plastic hifi grill and makes a difference all on its own.

If you want to try playing with time alignment, checkout my last tune I posted when I had my f31. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. At the very least you can load it, write down the T/A values, and apply them to your own eq/over tune. Should save you a few hours tuning on that part alone.
I also recommend playing the same track on mono and stereo to help dial in t/a and the minor eq and gain differences between left and right.

For anyone who reads this in the future you don’t need to swap ota coax on the center, if you really want the tweeter, they are on sale all over eBay for $20. Amd jsut plug right into the factory mid.
I added the HK tweeter to center, and wound up tuning it back out with a low pass xover because it will F your imaging.

If you are stock amp, just put the HK grill on and no tweeter.
I appreciate the response. I didn't plan to do anything with the stock speakers, the main goal of this was to do a full amp/speaker/sub upgrade at the same time and match a similar sound I have in my other project car. Also since I was going to upgrade one thing and already had the interior apart, I wanted to go all the way. The center speaker came for free since I bought them from another forum member and I don't have it currently plugged in as most don't run the center speaker. I swapped it just for fun (focals site has their different layouts - center coax/no rear tweeters) and also cause the center speaker had sun fade on the cone which you could see from the windshield - that bothered me. I wasn't recommending others to do their installation the same way as me, just said that the benefits from the sub/amp/rear tweeter upgrade and using the speakers at their fullest potential were worth it to me.

It may have been misunderstood but the 20 hours was for the speaker break-in time and the messing with the software was another few hours. I am running a tune from the forum thread for MATCHUP7 files. What I also noticed is how some files were set up for F31 and F30 but not much for F32. The speaker placement for the front seats in the coupes puts you closer to the rear set, so the file I ended up using still needed tweaking to finalize it. I figured that these pics would at least help others see that you do not need to use the MATCHUP7BMW specific amp - as long as you get the correct harness; you can also make your own bracket. I also did not want to bother swapping the grilles since mine is fine in terms of aesthetics and in the end, I'm not even using that speaker.
Appreciate 0