View Single Post
      07-20-2018, 11:03 PM   #12
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

I'm at 115k with my 2011 N63 550 Xi and I bought it with "high miles" last year and I must say it's been pretty....eventful to say the least. Not terribly unreliable but I kind of knew what I was getting into I guess.

I've put 16k on it myself and of course at 100k comes the time for things to break and be replaced and if you plan on taking it to the dealer for all repairs then you are just in a lose-lose situation. These cars aren't terribly hard to maintain but scary because BMW does most things that seasoned mechanics already know,like myself, QUITE differently.

In my year of ownership:

Alternator replacement at 100k ($1400 at an Indy.) Tried to do it myself but once I got everything apart there were special spline sockets that I didn't have smh. Btw the only alternator that the car read was the one from the BMW dealer. The Indy tried a rebuilt unit, then one from a local parts house and the car read neither...BMW ONLY. So there's that.

101k the blower motor and FSU unit went out on the coldest day of the year. Didn't want to pay thru the nose and did it myself. Took 2 days because there was so much to remove and so many nuances but it's doable. I was even considerate of subsequent owners and installed a mesh screen so no leaves or other debris would enter the housing anc cause this again. Cost $200 as opposed to $1k at BMW.

Most recently I had CPS Sensor codes come up and knew that it was time for plug replacement. Bit the bullet and decided to do them myself after getting an astronomical quote from BMW and my Indy and it was fairly EASY and cheap. Cost $220 for all parts and about 4 hrs of my time.

I'll echo the sentiment above in saying that this car is truly terrifying to own for fear that something catastrophic will break and being of supercar status, that's guaranteed to happen at some point. If you plan on keeping it, don't let it be a daily driver (my actual DD is a rock solid Volvo S80) but my anxiety has increased tenfold with this car which is why I plan to free myself soon because my sanity is more important than worrying if it'll break the next time I crank it. But...it's such a joy to drive and ooze down the road, or unleash its ferocious power when needed.

I'm wordy but in all honesty I say leave it behind after 100k unless you plan to go to a school of tech simply for the F10 vehicles.