03-26-2024, 05:20 PM   #6
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
No prob, I have B&G lowering springs I bought from EAS when I got the car in 2018. I don’t think they’re widely used or available anymore.

You do get a lot of road feel through the steering wheel but it’s still a compliment ride, just firm. Bilstein says they’re 20% stiffer than B6 with less travel so it does have its limits with bad roads, bumps, and potholes.

It was definitely an improvement from my 130k suspension I replaced - I did have EDC but didn’t feel like waiting on the B6 back order at the time, and I also didn’t really get the bump stop thing either so I just went for the strut designed for lowering springs with the built in bump stops to keep it easy.
Ah, I saw one of your posts where I think you were on H&R at some poiny? Yup sadly can't get B&G springs anymore. Would have to buy used if available.

Did you ask them about being 20% stiffer? Been talking with them and their claim is they're essentially the same aside from the physical dimensions. Even the bump stops are the same according to them but can't be if the compressed height is identical.

Yes I think I may have to go the B8 route due to availability. Plus like you said it's a much simpler plug and play setup. Perhaps with the softer Eibach springs it'll be quite nice. Not sure on the B&G rates and drop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
The B8 damper body has been shortened relative to the knuckle mount to account for the gas pressure lifting force. Without this change, the ride height of the lowering spring mounted on the B8 will be higher than the ride height with the same lowering spring mounted on a stock damper. You better have a properly selected bump stop if you’re within 0.6” of the full stroke of the piston rod! Inverted front struts have an internal bump stop.

Shaved top mounts and e36 M3 bump stops are needed when lowering springs are used on stock front struts. These changes increase the travel by more than 8 mm. The B8’s are designed to work with Eibach lowering springs so you do not need to use shaved mounts and e36 M3 bump stops (can’t use these anyway because of the inverted strut design).
Thanks for confirming on the bump stops and mounts! It's all becoming clearer to me now. I didn't want to deal with the shaving anyway so this is a relief.

I want to go with the B6 for the added travel, since apparently these cars don't have much to begin with. But my understanding on the topic is changing day by day so I may just come to realize there isn't much benefit in going with the B6. Let's see what tomorrow brings
Appreciate 0