10-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
You kind of summed up a few of the things going through my head. Curious, though, but why would you recommend the f4 IS if I rarely shoot indoors? I rarely shoot indoors, but would probably use this lens at a couple of upcoming wedding receptions. Other than that, it'll predominantly see outdoor use....quite possibly in low light or at night. I like to shoot cityscapes at night and they're 99% handheld up to shutter speeds of just over 1". That's also while keeping the ISO at 200 or below. I have an XTi so it is reasonable to go to ISO 400 and maybe 800 if I had to in order to get faster shutter speeds. I typically stay away from 1600. There's also the option of blinding people with my external flash. Perhaps one day...I'll get my butt to some track and/or race events to make us of this lens, too.
If you don't shoot indoors you don't really need 2.8. The f4.0 is a tiny bit sharper than the 2.8 and it's lighter to carry around. Thus if you don't need 2.8 the only other option you posted is the f4.0. If you handhold I would go with an IS version, especially for night time shots. I think for panning IS would definitely help.

Of course there's the option of going with the 2.8 IS but it costs quite a bit more. I couldn't decide between the two so I bit the bullet and went for the 2.8 IS. That way I don't have to wrack my brain on which one to go with. Maybe you can look for one on photography-on-the.net for sale section for a good deal on one.
Appreciate 0