View Single Post
      06-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #22
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

rcleno,

Here's a possible alternative explanation (with a much happier ending, if it proves correct).

You've described the problem as white smoke, and in the video it looks more white than blue. Burning oil produces noticeably blue smoke, so I don't think that's what's happening.

White smoke usually indicates either burning coolant or just burning condensation. I noticed that your white smoke went away very quickly, which would be consistent with burning any condensation left in the exhaust system after the engine is shut off for a period (say overnight). I would consider that situation entirely normal. Having said that, the quantity of smoke you're getting seems like a lot. What was the temperature when you made the video? Colder temperatures produce very visible condensation smoke, which goes away as the engine warms up. With hot temperatures, you seldom see condensation smoke.

If your car is burning coolant, that's generally pretty bad news. A blown / leaking head gasket is a common culprit, although you would often find a whitish sludge in the oil at the same time--or a scummy sludge in the coolant. Also, white smoke from burning water as a result of a head gasket leak wouldn't normally go away; it would continue even after the engine is warm.

By all means have the dealer check it out, and let us know what they conclude. I'm hoping that it's only condensation.

Rick F.
Appreciate 0