United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Dave,

Out of curiosity... how do you reframe a shot with that 1 ton 500mm lens? Wouldn't you have to walk a couple hundred feet back and forth, and potentially miss your shot?
I can select an AF point with my 7D, but usually I just try to keep the single, center point on the subject (eye if at all possible).

Carrying the thing is another thing. You literally do start in the weight room. Since I spent a lot of time, way back when I played football, lifting weights, it only took a few weeks of toating the 500mm before I build up my left triceps and biceps enough to aim. I trompted through the woods for tree-hours Saturday, holding it by the tripod-foot most of the time.

If by reframing you mean reposing, then that's the beauty (problem) with wildlife. They do the posing and it's up to you to catch a special moment before they fly or run off. I spent an hour under camouflage last night, sitting just off a deer trail with perfect sun at my back, hoping that a buck would wander so close that I'd shoot him with my 70-200mm. No such luck. Make's me think about going to the zoo...

Which reminds me, some nature photographers have used posed, captive animals as subjects and claimed that they were wild. That's a big no-no. If I ever shoot a captive animal I'll say so in the title and the tags. Also, I do very little Photoshopping because there are mixed views about that. It's ok to walk out and move a stick, but if you clone it out the firing squad may come and get you.

Dave