View Single Post
      08-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolfM3 View Post
My only advice would be that if you plan on going to medical school, try to save money by going to a good in-state school for undergrad. Especially, if your like most people and will primarily depend on loans. The cost of med school continues to go up while doctors are making less. Low interest loans are pretty much non existent now. My cousin, who just finished dental school has $500k in loans!! A friend of mine who just finished a residency in anesthesiology has a MINIMUM loan payment of $3000 per month!

As far as what to major in, be careful to not to try to do to much. Only you know how much you can handle. If you double major or choose a difficult major and it effects your GPA, med school admission won't that easy.
Advice worth considering. I'm 3 years into practice and still over $200k in debt. I went into med school with 20k in my pocket too.

Undergrad: UW Seattle, BS Biochemistry
Med School: Albany Medical College
Residency: Wake Forest

I agree with an Econ major (or similar). The Bio and Chem classes can be taken separately and as long as you have them, nobody will care if it wasn't your major. In fact, it can make you a more rounded candidate. Besides, Pchem was NOT good for my GPA. Got a 27 on the final and I think I had the 2nd or 3rd highest score.
Appreciate 0