02-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #646
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Congratulations, Seahawks!

As much as I dislike Sherman, I was sorry to see him carted off the field, and as much as I dislike the Hawks, because the are a thorn in the 49er's back, I say congratulations to the Hawks for dismantling the Broncos in the SB. It was well deserved; I just wish it was the 49er's instead.

FWIW, I'm going to add the following which I posted elsewhere on Yahoo Sports regarding Peyton Manning and the Bronco's loss to the Hawks. I'm not a Peyton fan in particular, but a lot is being talked about as to whether Peyton's loss somehow diminishes his "legacy." I don't think it matters and here what I have to say on that.

Take it FWIW:

"Football is a team sport but the quarterbacks usually get all the blame and the glory. Fact, is Manning didn't lose the SB yesterday, the Broncos (as a team) did.

There was the failure of the O-line to give Manning time to throw (not to mention the bone head snap/safety to start the game) which would have prevented at least 2 INTs and 1 fumble; the failure of the D-line and backfield to get to Wilson and to keep Seattle from running up the points on top of the TO points; and the failure of the Special Teams unit to prevent that run back for a touchdown.

The REAL reason for all of these "failures" was not Manning. It was the inability of the Bronco's O-line to deal w/Seattle's overwhelming defense and the failure of the D-line, the D-backs and Special Teams to shut down the Hawks competent (but hardly frightening) offense in order to at least keep the game close and to give the Broncos a chance to come back. Never happened.

IMHO, the REAL Superbowl this year was played a couple of weeks ago between the Hawks and the 49ers. The Hawks barely won that game but they won it on a key defensive play, that secured the win for them. It was a hard fought game against the 2 premier defensive teams in the league and proved once again that it's great defense (not offense) that wins football games.

Manning is nonetheless a future HOF quarterback. Unfortunately, he only has 1 SB win (so far), which puts him above both Marino and Kelly (both NFL HOFers) who have NO SB wins in the 5 SB appearances between them and no one is going to say that they were not GREAT quarterbacks in their time.

So, I agree w/the author of the article, when he says that Peyton Manning's "legacy" (or record) is not diminished by this loss. It certainly is NOT enhanced by it, but what he has done so far in the NFL is a matter of record and he stands among (albeit not at the top of the list of) the best quarterbacks in NFL history."
Appreciate 0