Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
Probably differences in tire construction. You are also running narrower rims than most of us with 19s which does have an effect on the overall diameter. Another thing I notice is that you don't really drive your car.... I think the longer you drive it, in a variety of conditions, the more likely this will cause a problem.
You could be right about running narrower wheels making an impact and how much people are stretching their tires.

Logically I would think that going off of the revs per mile that TireRack posts would give you an accurate indication of how close you are front to back...unless the numbers are incorrect of course. Even with the differences in tire construction if it's softer/harder it would impact both the front and rear tires and be net neutral, right? I could definitely be wrong, but that's the way I'm thinking about it. (This assumes you're not doing anything crazy with PSIs and you're not fitting a 275 with tire on a 7" wheel paired with a 215 tire on a 10" wheel.)

You're correct that I do not put a lot of miles on my car, but it seems from reading posts on this forum that people have issues right away when they put on a staggered tire/wheel setup that the transfer case doesn't like rather than seeing issues after 10k, 20k 30k miles down the road.

To me, it seems like some transfer cases are very sensitive to staggered setups and some are not. This guy has been driving for over 60k with a 1.3% difference with no issues. His front tires are much smaller than his rear tires too. Although I do really like the theory about how the TC works and ideally running a larger tire up front.