View Single Post
      07-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
darkaqua
Alles wiedersehe
Rep
Drives: 328i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I don't think it is in the book. The symbol is a 30,000 mile inspection. You can do it yourself.
I'm actually nearing 60K miles. Ok I downloaded the service warranty booklet
off here: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...antyBooks.aspx

There is a maintenance summary page on page 8 (PDF 14), and it goes though a vehicle check:

Vehicle Check
Maintenance work:
  • Check operation of horn, headlight flasher and hazard warning flashers.
  •  Check instrument and control lighting and heater/air-conditioning blower.
  •  Check lighting system: turn signals, back-up, license plate, interior (incl. map, reading lights), glovebox, flashlight, luggage area lights.
  •  Safety belts: Check condition and function.
  •  Check windshield wiper and washer jet positions.
  •  Body: Check for corrosion (except cavities).
  •  Tires: Check tread depth, wear pattern, outer condition, inflation pressure. If necessary, correct pressure.
  •  Reset Tire Pressure Monitor.
  •  Battery: Check state of charge (magic eye) and charge if required.
  •  Power steering reservoir: Check fluid level.
  •  Visually inspect all SRS airbag units for torn covers, obvious damage or attachment of stickers.
  •  Convertible: Open the convertible top. Activate automatic rollover protection system via OBD diagnostic link.
  •  Rear-view mirrors.
  •  Coolant: Check fluid level and concentration.
  •  Windshield washer and intensive cleaning system: Check protection level, fluid level; top if necessary.
  •  Brake system connections and lines: Check for leaks, damage and correct positioning.
  •  Underbody, incl. all visible parts (i.e.,transmission, rear axle, fuel lines, exhaust system): Check for damage, leaks and corrosion.
  •  Steering components: Check for clearance, leaks, damage and wear.
  •  Final Inspection: Road test with check of:
    – Brakes, including burnishing of parking brake pads
    – Steering
    – Shock absorbers (visual)
    – Transmission

Unfortunately I'm not sure if I could make good judgement on what is good and what is bad if I were to do this maintenance myself, so do you guys think it's best for me to take this into a real mechanic to help me with it? I think I'll attempt the check up myself first, then if I'm unable to determine what needs to be replaced or fixed then I'll ask a mechanic for advice.
Appreciate 0