eDubz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I assumed the VIN told me what was currently on the car, but then also listed older and newer revisions.

I visited Ghassan Automotive yesterday and he's against retroactively replacing the bearings like S65/85 guys do, but then I'm sure it's also about people knowing what they're doing, using PlastiGauge correctly, etc. Would you proactively swap bearings and what brand for a street car?

I edited my post from 20W-50 to 5W-50, the 50 he claims as a way to keep oil pressure up. Either way I've run 0W-40 year-round in Seattle which averages 40-80°.
I purchased my X5m used with a few owners before me. I was quite sure that non of those owners had the engine rebuilt before. After the cam sprocket/new oil pump failed, I removed one of the rod cap just to get an idea and sure enough not good.
The wear indicates that the engine was not up to temperature when it was driven hard. Which is not during my ownership. But at every oil change , the old oil in the drain pan would be glittery. Which now I understand that the bearing is to the point that it’s shredding apart slowly due to the past owner neglecting. Now, knowing that I personally rebuild this motor, would I change the bearings again in a 100k miles later as a precaution? No i would not. I don’t beat on my car on a daily base. Even when i do some spirit drive , it sure better be up to temp.
There’s only 2 aftermarket bearing company that I know of that makes S63/N63 ROD bearings and that is King and ACL.
They are tri-metal , softer to cushion high shock loads but won’t last as long as bi-metal.
Oem is bi metal, which is what i went with.
Be careful when ordering lower rod bearings. There a cut off year which I can’t remember 2012 or 2013 , that the lower rod cap is different. The bearing lock tab is on a different side.

Anyhow this vehicle won’t be with me much longer. Baby on the way and im sure he needs a quiet car. Thinking of an Acura MDX or some kind of Toyota lol. No more performance beast. Whoever gets this M will be a lucky person.
I have a 20 month old and another baby on the way in March. We use the M as a daily driver...

You're going to be so bored in an MDX. I bought the M to replace my wife's Acura RDX and loved it so much I kept the M for myself. Ended up getting her an X3 35i Msport.

BMW > Acura > Toyota

After what you've done to maintain your M, I would just drive and smile...

2013 X3 35i M-Sport
Appreciate 1
TTV8M125.00