View Single Post
      10-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #55
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

I've read the article from Stoptech about the myths with warped rotors. I've experianced warped rotors that were at their minimum thickness limit but on old Trans Am, running a dial guage showed massive variations in the tolerance and also hard pulsating through the pedal. Now I'm not gonna compare that old '76 Pontiac brake system to our M3's but I will say that if these M3 rotors can warp with low miles, track use or not, then how can we explain that the Nurburgring Taxi's, I've been there, rode in them, tracked my M3 there when I was stationed in Europe and also at other tracks in England. Those M3's, M5's at Nurburgring are driving hard and alot of miles put on those brakes lap after lap and they are OEM. Yes, pads are upgraded when I asked about that.

A buddy of mine races here in the SW with his M3 all OEM. Brake fluid and pads are race worthy, I don't remember what pads, but we talked at length about brake vibrations and he is proof that these rotors, with low miles on them relatively, don't distort. He has over 8,000 track miles on those rotors by the way as its only used on the track.

Now, I experianced my brakes (were all OEM/BMW street pads) at plenty of tracks days in England and Germany and I would experiance more of a griddy feeling & noise in my brakes, especially after a summer day's run at Nurburgring. But with a few hundred km of normal street driving, the pads are cool and will work all that pad deposit off the rotors. In the end, I always had smooth brakes.

Ever since I installed a BBK about 2 years ago (not going to mention brand) I've had vibration problems at about 80 mph, never got a chance to track the new BBK until not long ago and have had steering wheel wobble, front end vibration when braking and increases in strength with brake pressure/speed. it's never been the same ever since day one I installed it, and yes, everything is installed correctlyand torqued correctly. Manufacture of the BBk checked everything out on the brakes, done a crap load of testing, BMW checked my front end out and pretty much everything imaginable at the dealership. And still I have the same vibration. which only comes on when braking.

So, I'm going stock again soon to test out my theory. If the vibration is gone after that, then these OEM brakes are damn good. Either my BBK is shit, or my M3 just don't like this BBK or there is something else going on we can't figure out, which I have a hard time believing its something else than the brakes from what I experiance

OP, I seriously doubt your rotors have any problems, unless their warn weay down. Through on some race pads, go for a brake run-in procedure outlined in the Stoptech article and then switch back to your pads and drive normaly for a week or so, then bed them in. Vibration/griddy feelign should go away and you'll have smooth braking again.

Good luck.

Last edited by BimmerRob08; 10-10-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0