View Single Post
      07-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #88
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
IIRC the "TU" updates were to signify they added VANOS, on both the M52 and M62. Seems like a different sort of change than updating every part of the engine.
Different intake manifold, throttle body, oil filter housing, thermostat..
I think that even block and cylinder head are different. Look at partnumbers and they say 'up to sept98' or 'from sept98' and thats quite a few. not 'just a vanos unit'
Basically the bottom end is the same (and that probably defines if its a TU or new code) but a lot of things around it is different.

'adding vanos' is adding a new feature, a new regulative system to the workings of the engine. What new regulative system did the s54 get? the only thing that comes to mind is drive by wire. s50b32 already had dual vanos, itb's etc.

So you can put everything into perspective. As I said before, I see similarities (in order to exploit them), you see differences.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 07-13-2016 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0