Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I have 4 coil packs I ordered from NGK.com back in May. Haven't installed as their part of my track spares kit but sounds like I should just send them back.

Regarding selling with known issues, AIM is also doing this. They're knowingly selling their data loggers and dash systems without the various accelerometer chips that provide the acceleration data (long, Lat, vertical G's). I can appreciate that their supply chain is distrusted, but nothing has changed in their marketing to reflect the absence. They're selling these at full price and make no mention until you reach out o inquire about the missing channels in your data set. I told their support guys it amounts to fraud, but their president and sales VP don't seem concerned. They'll eventually have a solution to have impacted folks send their units for upgrade at some unknown point on the future. Argh…
You can swap all four out on the driver's side easily and see what the ECU does. On the NGK, the ECU immediately went into half power mode at startup. If they don't do that, I would complete the OBD drive cycle and if they keep working...you somehow got a good batch...

As a HPDE instructor (haven't been on track in a while, though) I am shocked to hear that AIM would do that. It's one thing to ship hardware with half-baked firmware or needing firmware update but to ship a datalogger without GPS?

I get everyone is "just trying to get by" but stuff like this is inexcusable. The whole world seems to be resorting to this nonsense. We need to hold these companies accountable for their practices and vote with the wallet by purchasing from competitors so they prosper and cheaters go out of business.
It's not as bad as excluding the GPS, but still the accelerometer/gyro/mag are critical and thus knowingly misleading the consumer is egregious.