03-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #27
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernerd View Post
Hey guys, last night at around 3 in the morning, me and my friends were driving to iHop and we were having a little fun on a 4 lane wide open completely empty road. Suddenly when we parked out cars at iHop, a sheriff shows up and calls one of my friends and says not to be reckless and he knows we're just having a little fun. Apparently he saw us speeding but he didn't have a chance to clock us or pull us over before reaching iHop.

My question is:

1. Are cops allowed to give you a ticket if he didnt catch us with a radar, while he's stationary? (no way of him telling how fast we're going)

2. Are cops allowed to pull you over once you're in private property?

3. Are cops allowed to give you a ticket once you're parked and out of the car?

After finishing at iHop, we were guessing the cop would be waiting for us, so we drove back really slowly, and what do you know..the cop was following us the entire way back to make sure we weren't speeding.
1. He can ticket/charge you for something other than speeding if he can't prove how fast so were going, like reckless or dangerous driving.

2. The law applies on public or private property. And regardless, you were breaking the law on public roads. If he couldn't do this, then anyone who breaks the law could run home or onto private property and not get ticketed/charged/arrested, etc.

3. Pretty much the same as number two. At the end of the day, if you break the law, you break the law. If he couldn't ticket someone who was parked and out of the car, we could run red lights or speed or blow through stop signs and if we knew a cop saw us we could pull one,r park, and get out and we'd all be fine.
Appreciate 0