05-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #437
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
you should be able to get some great 8x10s with a 10mb Sraw file... But cropping will be next to nothing.

all the books i keep reading are saying that anything over 12mp is really overkill. ( i don't fully agree, but i see their point. Mostly because, what if i wanted to print larger then 8x10?)
Well... for something you can't do-over (like a wedding), I'd rather shoot full RAW than sRAW just incase you have to crop, or if the client wants a larger print, etc.

About the 12mp comment you made. I'd have to agree with the books. Unless you are a professional photographer getting paid to do your thing (or if you need insane crop abilities), there's really no use for 12+mp cameras.

95% of my images are for the web/computer only. That remaining 5% probably falls into the maximum 8x10" print category. I hate working with large RAW files. I have a 12mp camera, and I'd hate increasing my storage size by 2-3x with a newer body. It would take forever to process all those images as well . If you really need 30+mp, why not go medium format at that point?

The other aspect to consider is that manufacturers have to balance things out. Higher mp usually comes at a cost... either lower ISO, more noise, lower fps, different sensor, etc. I would rather have less mp and have better ISO capabilities, more fps, etc. As the mps get higher, the flaws of lenses also become more noticeable. So then you have to upgrade your lenses, spend more money for other accessories like memory cards, etc. It's an endless cycle.