View Single Post
      02-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #52
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai 302 View Post
Except Mercrdes offers its customers cars like the SLS AMG and V12/black series models of most of their top cars. Audi on the other hand has a V10 supercar and the S8. What does BMW have?

If Mercedes and Audi are going downmarket they are also going upmarket at the same time. If BMW "needs" money from FWD vehicles to build higher end cars, then where is the new 8 series, Z8 or M1? Instead we BMW fans get a 3cyl "me too" sports car that will get walked by Mustangs and Camaros.
Exactly. Diluting the brand to increase profits is understandable, but it increases the need to reinforce the brand with higher end halo or more hard core products.

Mercedes and Audi are doing a fine job at this. Their halo cars represent the pinnacle of their brands. IMO, AMG = luxury and power, R8 = luxury and design. BMW i8 = technology and driving dynamics? that was confusing. And the M cars continue to evolve into do it all cars, not pure driver cars. Even Porsche is forgivable because it continues to churn out best in class sports cars.

The M235i club car is a step in the right direction, but not a real car for the people. BMW seems more excited about the i3 and enthusiasts seem more excited about the prospect of an M2 (their last hope). Perhaps this indicates where BMW thinks they need to go with their brand...
Appreciate 0