10-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #51
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Update

last 48hours then

Tuesday - Run out test at Scothall, bmw email as follows

Thank you for allowing us to assess your vehicle in further detail in order to determine the degree of run out on both rear wheels.

We carried out the test and have determined that the OSR wheel had a radial run out in excess of 4mm and the NSR wheel in excess of 3mm. The maximum permissible amount of radial run out on the rim is 0.3mm and I have attached technical data sheet for your reference.

It is not possible to determine the cause of this excessive run out but it is clear this is not a manufacturing defect.

With both wheels now displaying cracks I strongly recommend you replace both rear wheels as soon as possible.

Then after my comemnts I got
It is not possible for us to determine the cause of the cracks however under inflated tyres can make wheels more venerable to damage.

I do examine many wheels and the warranty guidelines are very clear as to how a manufacturing defect can be identified. My opinion is that the damage is caused by an external influence and not a defect.

It may be a benefit to gain the opinion of another BMW dealer on the warranty status of the wheels.

I've also spoke to the supplying dealer (Sytner), Customer Services, Scothalls Aftersales Manager amongst others. All robust in saying not a manufacturing defect.

The are clearly aware of the Mira report mentioned previously but say they cant discuss it as it is an ongoing issue.

As we stand tonight, tomorrow I'll be arranging to pay for 2 wheels otherwise I risk my family having a serious accident and I need it for work. They are going to investigate if they are happy for the tyres to go back on. Scothalls sy they will do them for cost.

I'll then start a small claims action.

Thanks to all posters for advice

Oh, and I have enqurired elsewhere as to the cost of the lovely performance 19" wheels featured on another thread, £2700 inc bespoke Bridgstones - cant afford them buggers though

Appreciate 0