02-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #40
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
I don't get to drive over 100mph often, that may have changed my choice
Well I do, and the 135i is not the choice car you want at high speeds (130+). It's not very planted. I drove it to 150 mph on my test drive in a German spec 135i. I was very busy keeping it in the lane as it wanted to walk all over. I'm not used to having to do that. It also felt like it was going quicker than it was, which isn't a good thing either. Yesterday I was out in my Z4 M doing the same speeds and completely relaxed (as normal) and the car is extremely well planted. That's not to say you don't need to pay attention to what you're doing in the Z4 M as the steering is so quick and precise. But it drives like it's on rails, even at very high speeds.

I completely agree with mpower03 in that the 135i's forte is city driving, or sub-triple-digit-speeds driving. The motor seems best at cruising rpms where if need be, a quick stab on the throttle will get you past someone for example. M cars would require you to downshift in a similar situation, but the throttle response and rev happy motor would make it worth the effort.

I still think the 135i is a nice car, but it's no M3 even if you never take it to the limit. I've driven the new M3 a few times and the car is so rock solid. Steering is amazing and the car feels like it's much lighter than it is. I almost bought one, but in the end didn't want that big of a car with that poor of fuel economy, and I kept finding myself eyeing the Z4 M Coupe in the showroom. I wanted this car for pure fun, not multi-functionality, so I'm happy in my choice.

I'm optimistic the next generation 1er will be much improved since it won't be just a converted 4 door hatch which really limited what BMW could do to not only interior space but, but space for proper wheel sizes, etc.