United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
True, the print is where these shine.

Dave you are the master of hand-held photos - I would be doing this with a tripod no questions

I've got a few panos from Iceland I never printed, but just recently bought a 39 foot roll (13" wide) for my Epson R1900C printer which can do 13"x19"s or 13" by as long as I want from a roll... been on my to do list to put that roll to use!
One of my office walls faces that view, so I'm thinking about paying for about a five-foot print, matting and framing, which would be around half size. I think that your roll might work out nicely for the size that I'm considering.

My view is that if I can hand hold one shot, then I can hand hold six. One thing that I find extremely helpful is turning on the grid in the viewfinder. I try to find a reference for my horizon and keep the grid line consistent as I pan, usually left to right, but direction really doesn't matter. Using a 700mm setup, I don't need this much overlap, but I still overlap around 25%, which works well with wide angles and super-teles. With a wide-angle I'll sometimes take the images in the portrait mode, if there's a lot of foreground and sky interest to capture. I use PS CS4 for the Automatic Photomerge. Raw, to tiff, to merged and flattened tiff, then finally to a jpeg.

Dave