7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
What you're saying makes no sense. If you downshift into a lower gear without rev matching the car jerks when the revs shoot up. It has nothing to do with synchros, it's gear ratios.
The synchros allow you to smoothly slide into the next gear. If the synchros are worn or bad, then the movement of the gears into place is jerkey. If they are working good, then that part is smooth and how fast you release the pedal then determines how "jerky" it is. MY manual trans cars have NEVER "jerked" when down shifting, rev-matched or not. But I don't SLAM the car into gear and sidestep the clutch. I smoothly use the controls.

Maybe you just need to learn how to drive.

And brakes are for slowing you down. Downshifting is to be in the correct gear if you either have to take off quickly again, or are trying to be in teh correct gear to exit a corner after braking to enter it. Downshifting is NOT to slow you down, on teh street OR on teh track.

If it wore your brakes out noticeably faster to use your brakes instead of downshifting, then automatic cars would have brakes wearing out very fast. Does an automatic 3 series use up it's brakes faster in daily driving than a manual trans one? I'd like to see stats on that.

Appreciate 0