View Single Post
      06-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #660
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Maybe I'm a bit confused here. The finer pixel pitch of the 7D (about 4.3 um vs. 6.4 um for the 5D2) should only provide more detail if the same lens is used in the same position (i.e. the 7D's framing is 1.6x tighter). If the 5D2 is moved closer to the subject so that the framing is the same then any pixel pitch advantage should go away.

What I think The1 is saying is that the 5D2 has a stronger anti-aliasing filter and thus provides more blurring at the pixel level. This is possibly true, but I am surprised that this would be enough to negate the advantages of requiring 33% lower lens MTF to get the same level of detail (and to a lesser extent the advantage of 21 vs. 18 MP). And again, this runs counter to my own experience.

If we're talking about using the same lens from the same shooting position then I have no arguement - the 7D is a clear winner in detail. If, however, we're talking about equivalently framed scenes I reiterate my doubts: under these circumstances I've seen the 5D2 yield more image detail than the 7D.

On a different note: what do you guys use for RAW conversion software? I'm pretty happy with DPP (having played with Lightroom and a couple of others).

Last edited by vachss; 06-22-2011 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0