Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
but deal with focus hunting
bastard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
What could I do to improve the reliability of my backups here other then buying a raid of SSD?

I know my laptop cant handle SATA right now; but i'm thinking long term.

I have enough of my computers grinding my gears when it comes to Post Process. (I got a P4 3.0ghz desktop and a c2d 2.0ghz laptop; both over 5 years old) So i've decided to make an investment and changing the whole rig for a quality desktop dedicated to Postprocess.
Don't RAID SSDs, it'll be a waste of money, unless you have lots you want spend on it. Here are my recommendations:

1. If you want a laptop, buy a 512gb Crucial M4 SSD card to put in it. Then, you can buy a NAS (I can recommend a few depending on your budget) and have a RAID 5 or RAID 6 set that does all your backups.

2. If you want a desktop, a PC or a Mac will be fine. I've been using Macs for over 20 years, so I'm partial to them. However, I've sold many custom PC workstations to other photogs who have been satisfied. With a desktop you can do internal RAID 5 or RAID 6, depending on your budget, and it'll be pretty fast (definitely much faster than your current setup). You don't have to worry about the monitors on a PC, because Apple's monitors, while good, are overpriced.

If you want a quote from me (rather my company) on the best system I can get you (either Mac/PC/laptop), let me know what you want to run (Windows 7 or Mac OS), how much space you think you'll need, what size monitor(s) you want, and what your budget is... feel free to PM me.