View Single Post
      11-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #60
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
I stand corrected. I was thinking that X5/X6 does have a V8 Diesel. Wishful thinking.
V8 diesel=torque monster.
BMW used to make a V8 diesel for the 7 Series if I'm not mistaken. They stopped making it because the 6 cylinders have gotten so good that their performance is on par, while fuel economy is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Way better gas mileage, this 2 liter four cylinder diesel which makes 184 horsepower and 280 lb/ft of torque is already being sold in the European market 320d and is rated for a combined fuel consumption of 62.8MPG. Since a British gallon is 1.2 US gallons, converting it to US MPG would give you 52.3MPG.

Obviously our EPA tests are different and we'll see different numbers but a ~50MPG 3 series with a 0-60 of 8 seconds and a (hopefully) slightly lower MSRP than a 328i will be exactly what a lot of people have been waiting for.

Imagine being able to rival a Prius' gas mileage in a BMW 3 series and you'll see why Europeans think the Prius is such a joke.
The problem is that we don't know if they are bringing the 4 pot or 6 cylinder... or both? If it's the 4 cylinder, then I'm going to assume that it's going to be priced equal to the 328i. I don't see the 4 cylinder diesel being the entry level car like they have it elsewhere in the world, but that's just my guess.

If they badge it a 328d, I'd actually expect it to cost slightly more than a 328i.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0