View Single Post
      09-14-2015, 12:35 AM   #88
chamba002
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 2009, e90 335i, FZJ80

Im on Swift Spec R springs and rides great. I would say the Swifts are slightly stiffer than stock. I have EDC on my car and the suspension has a "plus one" feel. For example on normal (no lights EDC button) feels like the stiffness on sport EDC (one light emitted on EDC button) in a stock m3. On sport EDC my m3 has a sport plus EDC stiffness on a stock m3 and on sport plus EDC my m3 felt more like sport plus plus. Stiffer but not bouncy on bumps but you will feel more feedback on the road surface.

I took the car to Circuit of the Americas and it was an improvement. I did one session with sport EDC (one light emitted) and the M3 feels planted with mild body roll, and no understeer. Then I ran another session on sport plus EDC (two lights emitted on EDC button). The car felt firmer, stiffer, and more planted on the track, than on sport EDC. Minimal body roll (at least what I felt), no understeer and the car felt sharper. I can just point the car to the apex and it will hit the apex.

Im also on 18x10.5 Volk TE37RT, with 265/35/18 front and 275/35/18 rear. My camber is -1.9 all around. Im sure these helped too but the overall performance felt more balanced than stock and no understeer noted. When the M3 does oversteer, it is predicable and controllable. I would recommend Swift Spec R springs for anyone that wants to improve the handling on M3 but not sacrifice ride comfort.

[IMG]Untitled by Chamba, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Swift springs are not a replacement for coil-overs, but for tracking 1-3x a year it's perfect. Coil-overs are nice because of the adjustably and handles better but the ride can get too stiff and uncomfortable especially on rough roads. I had coil-overs on other cars and those felt a lot more stiffer then my M3. Another reason I chose Swift springs over coil-overs is because I didn't want to lose my EDC function. Its nice to have that adjustably on the go. Yeah I know coil-overs have adjustable dampening but its annoying to pop the hood or go under the car to adjust it a couple of clicks.

There really isn't any need to get coil-overs if you don't track your car often unless you want to go lower then springs.
Appreciate 1