United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebl View Post
Dave,
Hmmm. You are saying if I have it on any kind of multiple exposure, you were getting inconsistent focusing? Even if you only took one shot?
I do make it a habit to not trust servo mode and continually "tap" the release to re-focus before taking a shot.
I'll probably end up getting the 5D3 eventually but it is at the tail end of my photo wants.
The AI Servo mode will hunt, so for multiple shots, it'll go in and out no matter what you do. I don't think that any shot (first, middle or last) is any more likely to be in focus, so you're best off to stay out of that mode (easier said than done) or take a burst twice as long as you might otherwise think is needed (increasing your odds). The tapping may be helpful, but you don't get a confirmation beep in servo and sometimes it's really hard to tell if it's really, really in focus, so you'll tap and there'll be no apparent response. (I tried manual in the past and had a dismal record of getting telephoto shots on distant subjects in sharp focus).

I love my 5D3, but I am looking forward to the MkII 7D in hopes of having a crop sensor body with the AF of the 5D3. Also, I'm really curious to see testing of the new sensor in the 70D, which could end up in the 7D2. I bet the price will go up to $2,400, but it'd be worth it, with those improvements.

Dave