Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I really had to bump up the ISO for a super-fast shutter speed, because even with IS mode 2, it's amazingly difficult to get a steady shot at 400mm with these ridiculously fast jets. Here they are going just under the speed of sound.
That's a pretty small size to evaluate, but I'm not sure it's really sharp. Look at it at 100% and the letters and numbers should be tack sharp. Maybe that's a huge crop or something, but I'm expecting sharper.

You weren't using a tripod were you? Don't use Mode 2 except on a tripod and even then it's debatable. I'd hand hold that kind of shot.

I think that you could have dropped down to 1/2000-sec. and still had plenty of sharpness.

Which AF mode were you in? You should have had AI Servo turned on, multi-shot. I've started using expanded single point (four surrounding one). Using the 61-points is tempting, but I'm finding that the camera might grab onto a wingtip when you really want the cockpit to be the focal point.

It's a learning process. The camera is amazing, but you can't just point it at an object and get consistent, sharp images.

Dave

Last edited by dcstep; 09-04-2012 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0