Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreb View Post
Yeah, I realize the target market for BMW's LSD is for track use, not for me. The product BMW targets to my use is called "xDrive", but that comes with its own set of baggage. :/

Winter tires are a given, and I always carry snow chains. Snow tires are a great thing -- as long as both of your drive wheels have any traction to work with. But especially given an RWD platform, I would much prefer the predictability and not-getting-stuck factor that comes from at least having a limited slip.

Is there something about BMW's clutch-type LSD that makes it particularly ill-suited to my needs (as compared to a simpler torsen type LSD)?
This sort of LSD is actually pretty terrible in snow. I've owned a number of older BMWs with them, yes, you have slightly better traction pulling away from a stop, but once you are going, they are MUCH worse. The problem is that if you give it that just too much bit of throttle, BOTH rear wheel spin and you lose directional control. Combined with the non-linear throttle response of even a BMW turbocharged engine and I doubt it would be a whole lot of fun. The e-diff, modern traction control and snow tires are all you need.

The best solution for snow is what Volvo used to offer on their RWD cars - a locking diff that would lock solid at very low speeds to get you going, then unlock once you passed 20mph or so. Those were fantastic in the snow.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0