View Single Post
      04-20-2022, 10:32 AM   #68
petrolhead2014
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i and soon F33 428i/30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsra33 View Post
I think that Americans don't like diesel cars just because of the noise the engine makes. If you take that, the diesel cars are much better: more torque (=more driving pleasure) and much more fuel efficiency. Europeans don't buy diesel cars because the price of the liter / gallon of diesel is cheaper than the liter / gallon of gasoline, but because the fuel efficiency in cities is much better (way better) and you still have (more) driving pleasure. The price of a diesel car is a bit higher, but in Europe gasoline cars loose a lot of value (less people want to buy them), so you will recover all the money (and more) you have invested in a diesel car. Just my European perspective.
Definitely not. I'm European and can confirm that no European buys diesel because of 'driving pleasure'. Most of the time it's because of company taxation rates which makes the purchase price of diesels much cheaper than petrol (and the small mpg advantage). The small proportion of private buyers do so because they've been told diesels have better residuals and/or don't care much about driving pleasure and rather want a car for A to B with the right badge.
Appreciate 0