View Single Post
      03-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Its spring and the counterfeit ///M cars are blooming…

I was out for a Sunday drive in my M3 this morning and came upon a TiAg E92 328xi that was debadged except for an “M” emblem on the trunk lid. He backed off after I merged in front of him. I really can’t understand why people risk public humiliation by turning their ordinary 3-Series BMWs into counterfeit ///M cars like that.

This afternoon, my neighbor let me drive his 1965 Shelby Cobra Roadster with the 427 FE Side Oiler engine. The car is a genuine Shelby Cobra, not a replica. The engine outputs 600 hp at the flywheel and the car is amazingly fast. He’s been promising to let me drive it for a while but today was the day. I only drove it about 5 miles but it was a privilege and a pleasure to drive such a legendary vehicle with a storied racing history. The car is a pure, unrefined, sports car with no power accessories, not even power brakes. I immediately noticed that the brake pedal and throttle aren’t close enough to heel and toe downshift, but that was the only minor imperfection that I noted in the car. I told him he could drive my E46 M3 in return, but he politely declined.

Other than seeing the bogus “M3”, it was a great 1st (full) day of spring for driving…