CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
CSL335i,

Why you would want the 3 back cylinder "bank" to have a heavier pre-turbine exhaust restriction than the 3 front cylinder "bank" is beyond me? Or am I reading that right? I would want the turbine housings to have the exact same flow capability and also have the wastegate to have the exact same flow capability. Looks like an awesome project but you really aren't thinking that part through too well IMO.

Rob
We did similar things on another platform. The reason, why we using two different size of turbine house: to have smaller on, which spool up faster in low rpm and a larger, which can deliver high load. When the smaller turbine house has higher load, than it can handle, a specific part of the exhaust gas, which cannot flow through via the turbine wheel, will escape trough the wastgate. There will be larger pressure in front of the wastegate in the turbine house, then the boost (vacuum), which comes from the acuator and try to stay close the WG. Anyway, at the end we can clearly see how it works, maybe we are on the wrong PATH. The two Garrett speed display gives us important feedback regarding the speed of the wheelsas well.

Laszlo
Appreciate 0