07-28-2008, 04:10 AM   #20
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
Still, I would not want to risk it on an unproven technology. Even NASA has blown shit up with their Hydrogen applications. Do you really want to chance it on a for profit company that is just starting to enter the Hydrogen era? Car companies have been known to royally f' up when it comes to safety and make harsh calculations (read "the Ford Pinto Memo")on how much it will cost to retrofit vs pay out settlements. Go ask ford why their Pintos exploded or Chevy why their trucks would catch fire if they were hit from the side. I'll leave the blowing stuff up to NASA TYVM.

Oh and can you imagine the vast hordes of stupid people driving around with enough explosiveness in their trunks to wipe out a small village? I can't wait until the 5 o'clock news when the latest gas station fire wipes out half of the state of Minnesota. Hydrogen in ordinary people's hands == FTL
I totally hear where you are coming from. I agree that it is a scary idea to put such destructive potential in the hands of an idiot.

What bothers me is that if this technology can't go in tunnels, it shouldn't be allowed on the road at all. To me, it seems like they really aren't really sure how safe it is, so they just make ad hoc decisions about where it can and can't go. If it can't go in a tunnel, they should make a law saying that it can't go in an underground parking garage. This opens up a slippery slope for what should and shouldn't be allowed. We are a long long time from actually seeing these things en masse on the roads (probably not even in our lifetime), but it seems that politicians are setting it up now to make things very restrictive to progress in the future.

The article didn't say, but I'm curious what a fine for driving your hydrogen car in the tunnel would be.
Appreciate 0