View Single Post
      09-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #41
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenTul View Post
No. I paid cash for all my cars and boats.
Well I paid cash for my beach house and Aston. Not the M3 though.

It's ok, no sweat about the bet, I understand the hesitation.

Quote:
OP quoted from Bloomberg. You and I live in the US. 210hp is it for a 9-3. Why should you even care about other markets?
Well I care because I choose to keep abreast of the technology car companies use across the world. It's rather second nature to me. Often times European countries deliver new products and technology to the homeland before it hits stateside. I find it worthwhile to keep in tune with what's going on throughout the world.

But why I care is irrelevant, isn't it? The press release stated nothing about the markets, so I chose not to make an assumption that it applied only to the US. Thus, when I mentioned Saab uses EcoTec up to 240hp (well, 237hp, really) I was talking about the world over. I certainly never considered it would become such a stickling point that would generate such discussion. I was merely trying to lay out the facts.

Quote:
If we were in Europe, the new BMW engine would be irrelevant since it wasn't diesel.
I'd have to disagree. They use both petrol and gasoline engines in European markets. Surely you are not suggesting that this BMW engine will not be used by Saab in Europe?

Quote:
Even so, 222hp is less than 237hp.
Definitely, yes. That's why I suggested they may choose to use the higher output versions of the motor later. This initial offering could be just to replace some of the lower end motors for now. In fact, by the time it comes to market, Saab may well have plans in the works to use other BMW engines. It is two years away, after all.

Quote:
Unlikely as it requires continuing with GM as a supplier. Currently 2.8L is used in Opel/Vauxhall Insignia (Buick Regal).
Not sure that's a bad thing in the interrim. 2012 is pretty close. Maybe they'll have all the GM engines replaced by then. But I don't think that's necessarily likely at this point. But, yes, I agree it could happen.

Quote:
More likely BMW and VAG will compete to supply Spyker with engines. Audi is incumbent supplier to Spyker.
If they do go with VAG for V6 or other engines, I would be very curious to learn why they chose to use BMW's brand new turbo I4 rather than the VAG equivalent that has been around for years. But then maybe this just speaks to how good the new BMW 4 cyl engines are going to be.

Quote:
Then again I don't see Saab surviving another 10 years without major product changes.
Could be. I wouldn't want to speculate. I would say that Saab probably has a lot of new product planned for later in this decade.
Appreciate 0