02-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I haven't looked into keto much. I've recently switched my eating habits around though. I've done two weeks of a paleo based diet. I stay away from grains, breads, dairy, added sugars, and definitely processed sugars (HFCS). I can eat meats, veggies, some fruits, etc. Everything has to be clean though, i.e. the meats have to be grass fed/free range, free of hormones and anti-biotics, all that stuff. A lot of people think this is a low or no carb diet, but it's not that at all. My carb sources are just different. Squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes/yams. No bread carbs, and few carbs from fruits (natural sugar). Naturally because of my new selections, my protein and fat intake is higher and carbs are lower than before. I have not felt a decrease in performance or energy levels though.

So far I am down 11 pounds from that and the workouts I am doing. I can still get up to 2300-2500 calories a day, even though it might be a little tough without all the empty calories from breads and grains.

I'm not looking to bulk up. I feel I have enough muscle mass for my body type to appear proportionate, so I am looking to lean out a bit, but MORE THAN ANYTHING I am looking to FEEL better. After eating a meal with tons of grains/dairy or bread and sugar, I always felt crappy and bloated and just nasty. I haven't felt like that in weeks. I had ONE day where I cheated a bit, we were on the road and had to eat on the go, so we grabbed something small from Starbucks. I got a small coffee cake and a sweet drink. Felt sick within an hour and had to stop on the way home to use the restroom. I decided then I would try to stick to my diet unless it was literally impossible to avoid.