03-08-2024, 01:48 PM   #122
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
If I were a cop, I too would think the BAC Mono is not street legal given it's appearance, single seat cockpit, minimal lighting, etc. The first time he was pulled over was because the police thought the car was too loud and that it was a kit car. They had him rev to 5000rpms and the dBA measurement was just under the legal limit when they measured via their Iphone of all things He was then given some really weird ticket about invalid registration. The DA ended up contacting him a week later and questioning him about registration. The DA asked why he didn't register in KS, how he's accounting for the taxes, etc and then left it as "I'll need to look further into this. I may have more questions for you later". That was 3 months ago. Then he got pulled over again last month because the officer said the headlights did not appear to be at the legal height and again, the officer thought the plates and registration were wonky given that this MT plated race car that likely isn't going to be driven long distance was cruising around KS. The officer saw the prior ticket about registration and that it was reported as having an open status (possibly meaning the DA must still be looking into it?). The officer measured the headlight height and they were fine and he decided not to ding him again for the registration. The officer apparently was a fan of the car. The owner has also been closely tailed a few times and could see the officers punching away at their keyboards. He assumed they were running the plates as they backed off and went on their way. He did have a license plate frame made that says "THIS IS A BAC MONO".

The owner of the BAC Mono told me the reason he registered in Montana was not to avoid taxes, but rather be able to drive the car. He's concerned that the DA is going to cook up something about tax avoidance and he'll need to hire a real attorney to fight it . The BAC Mono owner is loaded and drives a Aston Martin Vanquish S and 2020 911 TT as well, both cars registered in Kansas (I've seen the cars). He said he's not worried about the money, but rather if the DA might try to weave in criminal tax avoidance charges which could be damaging to his business. His experience has spooked a few of his wealthy KS clients with MT registered vehicles that they have ceased their LLCs and have registered the cars (mostly Ferraris and Lambos) in KS. These guys were absolutely avoiding the KS taxes which are high for a number of reason, many of which are good and positive.

The real kicker is the guy has no idea how I feel about those registering their cars in MT. LOL.
Sounds like he just needs to write a check to pay the taxes if he gets assessed a tax. If the car passes Kansas safety regs, then it looks like it's a tax assessment issue. I'd say the DA is being fair about it. If the BAC owner had broken a law, I'm sure the DA would have made it clear. And it's a civil penalty not a felony.

The dude drives an unusual car that garners attention. Duh. No reason any of us need to say the Police are asshats.
Appreciate 0