United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRide View Post
Dave,

I went to one of Fielder's seminars years ago (probably 20 years or so) when I was living in Denver. He has come a long way since then.

I would starve if I had to depend on photographic skills (good thing I have other sources of income). I do this for the challenge and enjoyment. I have enjoyed this forum of folks who seem to be likeminded. I want to expand my skills behind the camera and the computer, but not to the point of making work out of fun…if you know what I mean.

I enjoy the honest critique, encouragement and willingness to share information that I've found with this group of accomplished photogs!
Yeah, I agree, this is fun here. It's nicely adult and there are some very talented participants.

Fielder works really hard for what, I suspect, is a solid six-figure income. He's supporting a large team, including rents and staff in two or three galleries. 80% of the gallery space is taken up by photographers that pay to rent wall space and a cut of the action. Fielder is out judging contests, speaking, signing books, leading outings and, oh yeah, shooting new material (gotta squeeze that in).

Landscape and nature photography are extremely competitive. You need a really deep and beautiful archive, seeded with a number of truly exceptional shots to make it on your images alone. Most very talented nature photographers have other businesses, like teaching, guiding, printing, advanced digital processing, etc.

If you can eek out enough to pay for your equipment as a part timer, then consider yourself very lucky. I'm not paying for my equipment yet, but I am having a good time.

Dave